Startup after 350 rebuild

KingBowzer

Apr 19, 2020
Alright guys, I need some help if anyone might have some insight. Truck is an 86 C10, has a 350, TH350 transmission, neither of which are original to the truck, and an edelbrock 1406 carb. I just finished a rebuild on the motor.

Upon initial start up and attempt to break in, when I finally got it to fire up, it was very rough to start. At one point while the motor was running, poorly I might add, the truck started to jump forward while in park.

Before I pulled the motor and transmission for the rebuild, the detent cable was not linked to the carb at all.

When I was hooking everything back up after putting the motor and trans back in, I hooked the detent cable back up to the carb linkage.

Is it possible that the truck jumping forward like it did was because of the detent cable being linked to the carburetor when it wasn't hooked up before?

Any information provided is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jun 23, 2020
las Vegas
The vehicle can not jump forward if it is in park. Verify it is in park at the linkage on the side of the trans. make sure you aren't backwards and in first. Then try to roll it back and forth to verify. Then make sure the linkage is correct to match by moving it through its whole range and when you get back to park, rock the truck again to make sure it lock in. Doing initial tuning on a carb is made even harder is the truck is under load from the transmission being in gear. It's just another factor to deal with. Since it happened once, I'd chock it to be sure. #notrust

I do not see any way the detent cable can make a transmission in park move. unless the parking pawl is broken, but that is a whole other can of worms.

KingBowzer

Apr 19, 2020
You are correct, I had the shift linkage backward. Luckily I had it chocked in the first place, a buddy of mine was looking under the hood when it jumped forward. The wheel chocks stopped my buddy from being eaten by the engine bay lol. She's giving me trouble starting up for longer than a few seconds, so I'm thinking replacing the fuel pump and cleaning the carb is next on the list.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk