Overheating Issue with new 350 sbc

84ChevyFloridatruck

May 5, 2019
Hi, looking for some insight. I have a fresh 350 sbc, gen 1 that is overheating above 210-230. I have a new high-flow pump, all new hoses, new 180 thermostat, and new 3-row aluminum rad. Also note a new flex fan without a clutch. I'm not trying to overthink it, just doesn't make sense. Also ordered a new temp gauge (auto gauge)to ensure temp is accurate.

Attachments

Reactions: Clutch

Clutch

Apr 15, 2019
In my experience a clutch fan cools better. I just went threw this with my K30 and attributed the problem to the fact that I was running pulleys and brackets from a car the truck series pulleys are different diameters to cause the components to spin at different speeds

blk7gxn

May 8, 2019
Sometimes too if the flow rate is so fast its not having a chance to cool down in the radiator.

Reactions: Clutch
Jun 23, 2020
Use a infared thermometer to measure the temperature drop between the inlet and outlet side of the radiator. if they are close in temperatures, you might be flowing through the system too fast like was mentioned above. You might have to install a restrictor plate at the inlet. My problem was the heater core was more free flowing than the radiator. so the water would move through the heater core and not the radiator. Path of least resistance. I put a restrictor in the heater core line and the temps came down.