Fuel pump issue

rcolato01

Jun 24, 2021
Hello I recently replaced my mechanical fuel pump and now can’t get my truck to turn on any advice 73 Chevy c10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebuildman

Jul 9, 2021
Hello I recently replaced my mechanical fuel pump and now can’t get my truck to turn on any advice 73 Chevy c10

Define 'turn on'. It will not turn on as in no power anywhere? Or it will not start? But turns over fine.

Not_Sure

Jul 2, 2021

Did it start at first, run for a minute and quit? Now it wont run?

First is prime the carb with just a little gas and see if it starts, starter speed will not get gas from the tank up to the carb. Running for 30 seconds or so will usually do it. Might have to prime it twice.

If that doesn't do it It is really easy to drop the fuel pump pushrod when installing a pump. If that happens it wont pump fuel.

Take the pump off and make sure the pushrod is still in contact with the cam.

Usually takes one finger to hold the pushrod in place while you put the pump in. You can't let the pump come out at all while starting the bolts.

OR

There is a trick. See picture the red dot is on the passage where the pushrod runs up to the cam. The blue dot is where there is a bolt on the front of the engine this should be a short bolt it is there to seal the passage so oil does not leak out.

Remove the bolt save it you will replace it later. Find a longer bolt with more threads start the longer bolt in the hole with the pump removed push the push rod back against the cam, finger tighten the longer bolt to hold the pushrod. Install the fuel pump. Once the pump is bolted down remove the longer bolt and replace the shorter bolt.

Attachments

• sbc front2.jpg
    sbc front2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 11

rcolato01

Jun 24, 2021
Got it thank you for the advice nice trick did not know about that bolt hole I will definitely try it out I believe my problem is that the push rod is most likely sitting on top of that lip instead of under and yes when I first removed the pump and replaced it would crank but not turn over now when I removed it a second time and replaced it again it wound even crank it now just gives a little click and that’s it for now so I will try your method and hopefully that does the trick I also checked the grounding wiring and fuel lines making sure that there are no clogged lines I will be back once I do the reinstall once again lol

Not_Sure

Jul 2, 2021
Sounds like you need to charge the battery. If you don't have a charger take it to a chain parts store they usually charge and test batteries.

Once you know the fuel pump is properly installed and the battery can do it's job again make sure you prime the carb before trying to start it.

rcolato01

Jun 24, 2021
So I charged the battery it was dead primed the carburetor and now it’s starting again but still won’t turn over I checked the filter and I see no gas in there just very little but when I disconnected the fuel pump line it sprays gas so that’s wired I figured the pump was defective so I bought a new one but same issue I’m think there might be air so I’m gonna force feed gas to carburetor with electric pump connected where the filter goes see if this works any other suggestions please shoot them my way and thanks again for all the info and input very much appreciate it

Not_Sure

Jul 2, 2021
So I charged the battery it was dead primed the carburetor and now it’s starting again but still won’t turn over I checked the filter and I see no gas in there just very little but when I disconnected the fuel pump line it sprays gas so that’s wired I figured the pump was defective so I bought a new one but same issue I’m think there might be air so I’m gonna force feed gas to carburetor with electric pump connected where the filter goes see if this works any other suggestions please shoot them my way and thanks again for all the info and input very much appreciate it

A few possibilities. Filter is clogged, passage into carb is clogged. Float is stick.

Leave the filter out and see what happens.

Look past where the filter goes and see if that passage is clogged.

Tap on the carb above the fuel inlet with a screwdriver handle and see if it frees the float.

rcolato01

Jun 24, 2021
Thanks for all the advice figured out the problem distributor no power replaced works fine now back on the road

Reactions: Not_Sure